Right now develop with many developer it’s not really hard, even it’s with different country/place. (Subversion) Svn make it more easier for checking what file that already change/update or what revision that has been do with the file.
Subversion (SVN) is a version control system initiated in 2000 by CollabNet Inc. It is used to maintain current and historical versions of files such as source code, web pages, and documentation. Its goal is to be a mostly-compatible successor to the widely used Concurrent Versions System (CVS).
Subversion (svn) repositories are supported on the (gs) Grid-Service platform. This is a few step that you can do for setting your SVN in your mediatemple hosting.
Step I : Setting Your Svn Repository
Before you using this below command you must login in your ssh box and your ssh must activated.
- Open your putty or any ssh application and login with your mediatemple username and password
- cd your folder data with this command
- Use the svn admin command for creating the repository, and remember to using fs-type, this type for make sure svn database compatibilty
svnadmin create –fs-type fsfs <repo_name>
- Create your folder layout for the project, usual use branches, tag, trunk
- Import the layout to svn using this command below “#####” <== for finding the path you can use pre command
svn import layout_project_directory file:///home/#####/data/<repo_name> –message "Creating initial repo."
- Listing your detail repository with this command
svn list –verbose file:///home/#####/data/<repo_name>
- cd /home/####/data
chmod -R g+w repo_name
Setting the repo for multiple users
Step II : Setting Your Live Site
- Open your html directory
- Creating new folder or you can use the parent directory, I assume we using new folder, svntemple
- Checkout the file from our repo
svn co file:///home/#####/data/<repo_name>/trunk .
- Setting directory permission on your live site
find . -type d -print0 | xargs -0 chmod 775
- Setting file permission on your live site
find . -type f -print0 | xargs -0 chmod 664
Step III : Setting Your Client Site
- Download your svn client, using tortoise or any svn client
- Make sure your username for svn users it’s have svn connection, you can setting this from your account setting
- Enter this on your svn url repository
The setting done, hope this is can help us for using the svn in mediatemple